The primary responsibility of a construction foreman is to supervise and direct a team of construction workers to execute the work that has been assigned to them. He or she assigns shifts and responsibilities on a daily basis and ensures that all workers are given work that is in sync with their individual capabilities. It is also the responsibility of a construction worker to make sure that projects are completed on time and are accurate in detail.
Eligibility requirements to work as a construction foreman is a high school diploma or a GED. If you have worked in a similar role before or as a construction worker, you will know what this work is all about and might be considered a good contender for an open position. A construction foreman does get opportunities for career advancement – if he works well, he can be promoted to a construction supervisor position, where he will be responsible for supervising foremen as well as workers.
Typically, construction foremen receive their job knowledge from different sources – they need to be well-versed in carpentry, concrete work, plumbing duties and electrical work if they want to be able to supervise effectively. The four major aspects of working as a construction foreman include managing workers, quality control, communicating with stakeholders and financial control.
Job Description for Construction Foreman Resume
• Study work orders and blueprints in detail to determine type of construction project to head
• Comprehend and discuss project specifications and prepare layouts and determine dimensions
• Create estimates of needed equipment, materials and manpower to execute projects appropriately
• Coordinate efforts with vendors and suppliers to ensure on-time delivery of building materials and construction equipment
• Measure, calculate and mark cutting lines on materials and use hand tools and / or equipment to saw or cut them
• Plan, organize and schedule work duties for skilled workers such as carpenters and electricians
• Inspect each skilled worker’s work to ensure conformity to standards and provided instructions
• Establish standards for safety and performance expectations and ensure that these standards are constantly adhered to
• Inspect quality and quantity of work against set standards and protocols
• Provide training regarding standard methods, practices, principles, tools and equipment used in construction work
• Communicate the need for prioritizing tasks according to updates and changes to procedures, policies and standards
• Ascertain that maintenance of construction equipment and tools is performed on a regular basis
• Report and record equipment defects or malfunctions and ensure that new or repaired equipment is procured before the beginning of the next shift