The way technology is ruling our lives, there is no life without technology! And certainly none without a personal computer! Everything that we do now is on a computer and it is no wonder that we need the services of a PC technician so often. When things go wrong with our personal computers, PC technicians are life savers!
PC technicians perform a lot of hardware and software related duties. They install software applications and hardware components in personal computers and are responsible for maintaining and updating them. In the event that something goes wrong, PC technicians are also responsible for troubleshooting and repairing them. They work in technology support companies and may even provide services as freelancers. Since their work is extremely technical, they are required to be knowledgeable of modern computer technologies and their uses.
There are several different ways in which PC technicians may work – either by providing services on the telephone or by making home visits – or to walk in customers. They may be hired as help-desk technicians or technical support specialists, depending on different employers and may be responsible to handle networking and maintenance issues as well. A bachelor’s degree in information systems or computer sciences is essential to work at this position.
Some main tasks that you will be performing while working as a PC technician include:
Sample Job Description for PC Technician Resume
• Take telephone calls and respond to customers problems regarding PC problems
• Guide customers through procedures to fix their PC problems
• Service walk-in customers by providing them with information on problems with their PCs
• Install hardware and software systems and upgrade existing systems to meet requirements
• Test PCs to ensure that they are working appropriately
• Service printers, scanners and other peripheral equipment to ensure that they are working correctly
• Repair computer system hardware and install additional modules such as sound cards and video cards
• Troubleshoot problems with systems and perform maintenance measures
• Install and update software programs such as antivirus and antimalware
• Ascertain complete recoverability of systems and applications in case of crashes
• Provide network and remote connectivity
• Document instances of hardware failure and installations
• Monitor individual PC performance and support implementation of LANs and WANs
• Test individual systems and networks to ensure that they are working properly
• Prepare cost estimates for new system components and installations
• Visit customers’ homes to set up their PCs and peripheral equipment such as scanners and printers
• Set up computer security measures and ensure that any breaches of security are addressed immediately