As the single largest internet-based retailer in the world, Amazon is responsible for providing jobs to thousands of people. One such position is that of a fulfillment associate, an individual whose prime responsibility is to pick, pack and ship customers’ orders to their addresses in a time-efficient and accurate manner.
An Amazon fulfillment associate performs a huge variety of duties including deciphering work orders, locating merchandize in storage locations, and picking and packing them for shipping to awaiting customers. Since fulfillment associates primarily work in a warehouse environment, it is important for them to know how to operate forklifts, pallet jacks, cherry pickers and walkie-riders. It is also important for fulfillment associates to understand the different aspects of production, and adhere to strict safety and quality standards.
To work as an amazon fulfillment associate, you have to be at least 18 years of age and possess a high school diploma or a GED equivalent. In addition to this, you will need to be physically dexterous, with an ability to lift up to 49lbs of weight, and have it in you to stand or walk for up to 12 hours a day. Yes, the job is hardly easy but it provides great insight into what warehousing and shipment work is all about, in one of the giant retailers of the world.
Amazon Fulfillment Associate Duties and Responsibilities
• Receive and understand work orders to determine the type and quantity of items ordered by customers
• Obtain storage location information from the merchandise database to assist in locating the item
• Locate items in storage areas and compare the information on them with work orders to ensure conformance
• Pick items from storage areas using forklifts for large boxes, and transport them to examination areas
• Check items to ensure that they are in good condition and conform to quality specifications and perform packing and boozing duties
• Ascertain that all picked and packed items are properly recorded into the Amazon order database
• Transport picked and packed items to awaiting delivery trucks and ensure that they are properly and safely loaded onto them
• Ascertain that all documentation regarding packed items is generated from the system and handed over to the delivery personnel
• Arrange all incoming shipments in designated storage areas according to established protocols
• Keep the warehouse area clean and maintained at all times and perform minor repair and maintenance work on equipment such as forklifts and pallet jacks